To avoid being scammed by the latest email hoax, here’s what you should know about the Do Not Call Registry:
- The safest way to register is to visit the official website, www.donotcall.gov, or call the number listed on the website, 888-382-1222.
- Registration is permanent, and not limited to five years as many emails claim.
- There is not a separate Do Not Call Registry for cell phones.
- There is no deadline approaching for signing up for the Do Not Call Registry.
- Telemarketers have 31 days to stop calling numbers once they are registered.
- Registering won’t stop all telemarketing calls.
- You can complain. Telemarketers can be fined as much as $16,000.
For description of the tips mentioned above and full article see: Cell Phone Numbers Going Public? Not Likely.
- Warning: Cell Phone E-Mail Is A Fraud (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- National do-not-call list hits nearly 210 million phone numbers (news.consumerreports.org)