Local state representative releases list of new laws for the new year. Below is a sampling of new laws effective in 2012:
- No Texting While Driving: Senate Bill 314, which will go into effect early March. The fine is $50.
- Teen Drivers’ Law: Effective Dec. 27, 2011. More information on the changes for teen drivers can be found at www.dmv.state.pa.us.
- Castle Doctrine: House Bill 40 went into effect the end of August 2011.
- Safety in Youth Sports Act: Senate Bill 200, which establishes standards for managing concussions and other brain injuries. The law takes effect July 1, 2012.
- Fair Share Act: the “Fair Share” Act brings proportional fault to Pennsylvania, dramatically changing how liability is assessed in civil cases. For example, if a defendant is found to be 10 percent at fault, s/he is liable for only 10 percent of the damages. The law went into effect June 28, 2011.
- Long-Term Care Nursing Facility Independent Informal Dispute Resolution Act: House Bill 1052 goes into effect the end of April 2012.
- New Sex Offender Registration Law: House Bill 1958/ Senate Bill 1183 closed what were loopholes in Megan’s Law regarding out-of-state sex offenders who move to and establish residence in Pennsylvania. For more information about the various tiers of offenses and corresponding registration requirements, go to www.legis.state.pa.us.
- Public Access to Birth/Death Certificates: Senate Bill 361 will assist those involved in research and genealogy.
- Electronic Auctions/Abolish Office of Jury Commissioner: House Bill 1644 amends the County Code to allow the sale of personal property through electronic auctions.
- Limited Distillery License: House Bill 242 will enable the holders of this license to operate a distillery with production of distilled spirits that shall not exceed 100,000 gallons per year.
- Pa. Senate Approves Bill That Would Ban Texting While Driving | NBC Phila | 11/2/11 (vinhsulaw.wordpress.com)
- Pa.’s Version of Adam Walsh Act Would List Teens As Sex Offenders | The Patriot-News | Sara Ganim | 10/27/11 (vinhsulaw.wordpress.com)